Kundalini Yoga is an uplifting blend of physical workouts and spiritual practice. Influenced by Shaktism, this style of yoga combines mudras (hand gestures), dynamic breathing exercises, meditation, physical postures and chanting mantras. The objective of this particular Yoga technique is to awaken the inner spirit to let the practitioner’s mind and body excel. It will also allow you to create and cultivate the ultimate awareness in your very inner self. It does so through kriya and naad. Kriya a combination of different postures ans breathing exercises which will allow you to meditate deeply. Its goal is to develop physical vitality and also to merge individual consciousness with divine consciousness.
There is a common misconception about Kundalini Yoga and that is many people think it is a religious ritual but the real fact is, it is a particular type of Yoga method that does not represent any religious tradition. This style of Yoga technique is not about religion but about Spirituality. It is a particular technique that is helpful to awaken the flow of energy and consciousness about which most of us unaware and that is hidden in our very inner self. This type of practice help us to express our inner flow of infinite energy.
This particular Yoga style consists a variety of workouts including physical postures (asanas), breathing exercises (Pranayama), meditation (dhyan) and also prayer and chanting mantras. If we practice these workouts regularly, we can spiritually enlightened and awakened. It will help us to maintain happy, healthy and holy life system.
If we decide to start practicing Kundalini Yoga, we should first gain some knowledge about this technique. This particular yoga technique is an untapped spiritual energy at the base of our spine and through the body awakening (each of the seven chakras of the body) that spiritual energy can be drawn up. This Yoga technique has the aim to bring this energy that often represented as a snake coiled at the bottom of the spine, to the Crown Chakra. If we want to awaken this hidden energy and to achieve this higher spiritual state, it is not enough to practice the physical postures and to follow the breathing exercises rather we have to do more.
If we want to get benefited from Kundalini Yoga, we need to practice some highly sacred rituals and a holistic lifestyle. This Yoga technique is helpful to find out our potential and virtues. While practicing Kundalini Yoga workouts, we should keep remember that everything is hidden in our very inner self.
History of Kundalini Yoga:
First mentioned in Upanishad (one of the earliest scriptures of Hinduism), ‘Kundalini’ is a Sanskrit word that means ‘coiled serpent’. It represents ‘Power’ and ‘Creation’. John Woodroffe, an Oxford graduate translated some twenty original Sanskrit texts in the late 1800s into the early 1900s under the pseudonym Arthur Avalon. Sri Swami Sivananda has depicted some esteric depiction of some historically classic Kundalini Yoga practices in a treatise named ‘Kundalini Yoga’, in 1935.
Benefits and disadvantages of Kundalini Yoga:
- Regular practicing of Kundalini Yoga workouts can help us to get benefited physically and psychologically.
- It will allow us to make mind body alignment.
- Kundalini Yoga consists many physical and psychological workouts as well as chanting which help us to make our mind more focused, stable and calm.
- In Kundalini Yoga there are many physical workouts which will help us to increase our blood circulation, lymph and other fluids of the body.
- These workouts also help for improving the functioning of the lungs.
- If we practice Kundalini Yoga workouts regularly, it will also improve our immune system.
- Kundalini Yoga also consists many breathing exercises which help us to focus on our breathing and can regulate our breathing.
- By practicing Kundalini Yoga regularly, we can enjoy the pleasure of our life more.
- If we practice Kundalini Yoga workouts daily, we can get rid of any kind of stress, tension or anxiety and can feel the inner bliss.
- Kundalini Yoga workouts are also helpful to strengthen our nervous system and balance the emotions.
- It will help us to get stable and we will be able to handle any kind of difficult situations easily and comfortably and can make proper decision.
- Kundalini Yoga is more about mental awareness but it can also help us to loose weight by burning extra fat.
- This style of Yoga workouts can also help us to omit any kind of bad habits like alcohol addiction and smoking.
- If we practice Kundalini Yoga regularly, we can control negative thoughts and feelings and can improve positive attitude and feelings which will ultimately improve our sense of happiness and confidence.
- This style of Yoga technique also develop our intuition, creativity, self knowledge, sharpness of brain, potential ability and also enhance memory.
Here are some disadvantages of Kundalini Yoga:
- If we don’t do the Kundalini Yoga workouts in a right way, it can lead us to an unexpected awakening energy and we might not handle the energy easily.
- From many other yoga style, this yoga technique is faster higher that sometimes cause stress.
- Sometimes practitioners especially the beginners might feel that their Kundalini energy is not awakening and they can get depressed.
- Sometimes many beginners might find difficulties in handling the energy awakening and might start immoral behavior.
- After some days of practice, we might experience headache or pain in our other parts of the body.
- If we don’t follow the right technique while practicing the breathing exercises, we might get breathing irregularities that will be harmful for our physical health.
- We might also feel heavy weight on head and can get neurosis problem.
- We can experience extreme change of our moods.
- It can also disorder the central nervous system.
Though Kundalini Yoga has many disadvantages, if we want to get benefited from it, we should focus on the advantages and follow the right techniques at the time of practicing Kundalini Yoga workouts.
People who are planing for a Yoga vacation in Costa Rica and seeking for a yoga retreat, they can get some information from this article: Costa Rica Yoga Retreats