Yin Yoga, a particular yoga style that involves variations of seated and supine poses. These poses typically have to be held for longer periods of time such as five minutes or more per pose, accessing deeper layers of fascia. This slow-paced style of Yoga is initially called ‘Daoist Yoga’ and it targets the deep connective tissues of the body and the fascia that covers the body. Originally introduced by Paul Grilley, this Yoga technique helps to regulate the energy flow throughout the body. Traditionally, Yin Yoga works for the area from the naval to the knees but the principles of this Yoga can also be applied to all the parts of the body.
Yin Yoga is a soothing and meditative style of Yoga that is more about mental awareness and satisfaction rather than physical benefits. It has its root in China. It is different from other types of Yoga and the difference is that you will have to hold each postures for at least two to three minutes.
Based on the Taoist concepts of Yin and Yang, Yin Yoga may at first glance seem too slow but this complex practice of long, passively held floor poses is deeply nourishing and has myriad benefits. Yin and Yang means opposite and complementary principles in nature. Yin is considered the moon and the yang is sun. Yoga postures which are more passive, considered Yin and the more active and dynamic postures are yang.
Here goes some benefits of Yin Yoga:
- If we practice Yin Yoga regularly, we can reach the deeper layers of the body beyond the muscles: the connective tissues-the tendons, fascia and ligaments.
- Yin Yoga workouts can also increases synovial fluid circulation in the joint and improves flexibility which improves the ability of making movement and sit still more easily and comfortably.
- It has a positive effect on the health of our organs. At the time of practicing Yin Yoga workouts, each pose stimulates the flow of Chi or life force through the respective meridians, resulting in increased vitality.
- It is a more meditative style of Yoga that improves self awareness and to recognize the inner silence and develop interconnection.
- At the time of holding the postures for several minutes, the practitioners also have to practice breathing patterns that improve their breath awareness. This type of practice will also soothe the nervous system, relax the body and makes the mind calm, steady, and focused.
- During the practice, the stimulation of the meridians regulates our emotions and we can host those emotions without being attached to them.
- Five minutes of holding a Yin Yoga pose named ‘Sleeping Swan’ pose can help us to experience feelings of rage as holding this pose stimulated the liver meridian that is with the emotion of anger.
- Yin Yoga is a particular style of yoga that is a great doorway into meditation and particularly suited to the practice of Mindfulness meditation. And it help us to gain mental clarity and to develop the interconnection as well as connected to the outer world without judging.
For recommendations for the best yoga in Costa Rica, click here: Costa Rica Yoga Retreats